Chicken, Leek & Potato Pie
4 skinned & boned chicken breasts
4 leeks, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
For the Topping:
675 g (1 ½ lb) potatoes peeled and chopped
2 tbps semi-skimmed milk
50 g (2ox) low-fat mature cheddar cheese, grated
Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 190c, 375F, Gas Mark 5
- Boil the potatoes until softened
- Meanwhile preheat a non-stick frying pan. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Dry-fry the chicken and leeks in the pan for 3-4 minutes and season with salt and black pepper. Add the garlic, basil, tomatoes and tomato puree and allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. Mash well, adding the mild and half the cheese and season with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into an ovenproof dish, top with potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until golden brown.